After eight seasons anchoring the Houston Astros’ rotation, left-hander Framber Valdez is heading to Detroit, signing a three-year, $115 million contract with the Tigers and closing the book on one of the most dependable pitching runs of the franchise’s championship era.
The Astros marked his departure with a tribute on social media that summed up his impact:
“1 No-Hitter, 2x All-Star, All-MLB First Team, A World Series Champion. Grateful for 8 years of La Grasa.”
From $10,000 Signing to $115 Million Ace
Valdez’s journey with Houston is one of the organization’s most remarkable development stories. Signed as a 21-year-old international free agent for just $10,000 in 2015, he grew into a frontline starter and one of the most durable pitchers in baseball. His new deal in Detroit includes a $20 million signing bonus — roughly 2,000 times his original signing amount.
He made his MLB debut in August 2018 and cemented himself as a rotation mainstay by 2020. Since then, Valdez has been one of the league’s steadiest workhorses:
- 81–52 record with a 3.36 ERA across 188 appearances (166 starts)
- 18.8 WAR
- No-hitter vs. Cleveland on Aug. 1, 2023 (16th in Astros history)
- 25 consecutive quality starts in 2022, an MLB single-season record
- 2022 World Series champion, winning Game 2 and the decisive Game 6
- 973 innings pitched since 2020 (fifth-most in MLB)
- Highest ground-ball rate among starters since 2021
An Emotional Goodbye
Astros sportscaster Julia Morales-Clark shared a heartfelt farewell on Instagram, posting photos and clips from her years covering Valdez.
“Framber Valdez is a fun one,” she wrote, referencing the pitcher known by his nickname “La Grasa,” an affectionate Dominican term often used to describe someone stylish or full of personality.
Reunion with Hinch
Valdez’s move to Detroit reunites him with former Astros manager A.J. Hinch, who oversaw his early big-league development in 2018–19. The Tigers have also added Justin Verlander on a one-year deal, creating another connection to Houston’s championship core.
“Framber, he’s an incredible competitor,” Hinch said. “Sometimes the emotions come with that, and I like that. I know he brings it every five or six days and wants to pitch deep into games. The production is there. The personality is there. His preparation is incredible.”
Addressing the 2025 Incident
During his Tigers introduction, Valdez also addressed a controversial moment from September 2025, when he appeared to hit Astros catcher César Salazar with a 92.8 mph sinker shortly after surrendering a grand slam to the Yankees’ Trent Grisham.
“It was simply something that happened,” Valdez said in Spanish. “I apologized because it was accidental in the middle of the game. It was not intentional. It was nothing personal. Everyone who knows me knows it didn’t happen that way.”
What Houston Receives
Because Valdez declined the Astros’ $22.025 million qualifying offer, Houston will receive a compensatory draft pick after Competitive Balance Round B — roughly the 75th overall selection in the 2026 draft. Detroit forfeits its third-highest pick as part of the signing.
One More Time at Daikin Park
Valdez will return to Houston as an opponent June 15–17 when the Tigers visit Daikin Park. The Astros will travel to Detroit later that month, June 25–28.
With his departure, Houston’s rotation now leans heavily on Hunter Brown, who finished third in AL Cy Young voting last season, along with additions Tatsuya Imai and Mike Burrows.
The end of Valdez’s tenure marks another major turning point from the Astros’ recent dynasty era — and the closing chapter on one of the most reliable arms the organization has ever developed.