Bad Bunny Offered to Pay Carlos Correa’s WBC Insurance, But Deal Fell Through

February 13, 2026

Global music superstar Bad Bunny went to extraordinary lengths to try to get fellow Puerto Rican Carlos Correa onto Team Puerto Rico’s World Baseball Classic roster, even offering to personally pay for the Astros infielder’s insurance coverage. In the end, the plan never materialized.

Correa revealed the details Friday at the Astros’ spring training complex in West Palm Beach, expressing deep gratitude for the effort even though he ultimately declined the arrangement.

“It means a lot that he’s that involved,” Correa told reporters. “He tried to do everything possible. I wanted to play and make sure that I was going to go out there and play for Team Puerto Rico in Puerto Rico. The fact that he did that means a lot in how much he cares for the country, how much he cares for the fans back home. I’m deeply grateful that he tried that hard.”

Why the Deal Didn’t Happen

While Correa did not name the insurance provider Bad Bunny proposed, he said Major League Baseball, the Houston Astros, and his agent Scott Boras all advised him strongly against accepting the coverage.

“I could not sign my life away with something that three people that I trust are telling me not to do,” Correa said.

The insurance hurdle is tied to Correa’s medical history. He had surgery in 2014 to repair a broken right tibia, and that history has complicated insurance evaluations in the past. Without approved coverage, participating in the World Baseball Classic was not considered a safe option.

Correa’s Disappointment

Correa, who helped lead Puerto Rico to a runner-up finish in the 2017 WBC, previously made it clear he wanted to represent his home country again, especially with pool play set to take place in San Juan next month.

“I understand the business side of things,” Correa said regarding the lack of insurance coverage for WBC participation.

Instead of suiting up for Puerto Rico on home soil, Correa will remain in West Palm Beach for spring training with the Astros.

Altuve Also Out

Correa isn’t the only Astros star unable to participate. Second baseman Jose Altuve will also miss the 2026 WBC for Venezuela due to similar insurance concerns.

Jeremy Peña now appears likely to be Houston’s lone All-Star representative in the tournament, as the club navigates the balance between national pride and long-term health risks.

Astros general manager Dana Brown acknowledged the team’s cautious stance while noting the final decision ultimately rests with the players.

“We tell our guys, ‘Look, if you want to participate, if that’s what their prerogative is, you can do that,’” Brown said. “Some guys that suffer different injuries or different things like that, we might have a slightly different opinion, but we don’t have the final say.”

Bad Bunny’s Connection to Baseball

Bad Bunny, born Benito Antonio Martínez Ocasio, is one of the most influential global artists and a passionate supporter of Puerto Rican baseball. His sports agency, Rimas Sports, has also been active in the baseball world in recent years.

The failed insurance effort highlights both his deep investment in Puerto Rico’s baseball community and the complex business realities that sometimes prevent MLB stars from representing their countries on the international stage.